Festive and very delicious:
raspberry and cornmeal muffins with a touch of lemon zest.
I prefer my muffins small…and these were perfect. The cornmeal makes them crunchy, and the raspberries “dissolve” when cooking.
I was going to post this just before Christmas, thus the mini colored balls. Hmm. Somehow it was delayed…
Here’s the recipe for all to enjoy:
RASPBERRY CORN MUFFINS
Author: Libby via Epicurious
Recipe type: Baked Goods
Serves: 15 small muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbls. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ tbls. finely grated lemon zest
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 whole large egg
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1½ sticks. unsalted butter, melted
- 2-3 tbls. course, or granulated, sugar
- paper or foil muffin cup liners
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 15 (1/3-cup) muffin cups with liners, dividing evenly between 2 pans (muffins cook more evenly with empty cups among them).
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest in a large bowl. Whisk together butter, milk, yolks, and whole egg and stir into flour mixture until just combined.
- Gently stir in berries and divide batter evenly among cups (each cup will be about three fourths full).
- Bake in middle of oven (or upper and lower thirds if necessary) 10 minutes, then sprinkle tops evenly with sanding sugar. Bake muffins until tops are golden and a tester comes out clean, about 7 minutes more. Remove muffins from pans and cool on a rack.
As I say, I prefer smaller muffins, but this could be made in any size muffin tin.
And be sure to sprinkle the tops with sugar about half way through baking: it makes them crunchy and sparkly.
Very easy to eat, I guarantee!
These look great and would be a treat for Valentine’s Day, which will be here before we know it.
Marian St.Clair recently posted…Celebrating Democracy
They look so pretty, I totally agree with Marian, they would be perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Our French Oasis recently posted…The Big Freeze, French Plumbing & Who Won Those Toffees!
A Valentines treat for sure. Another hit recipe Libby, you never steer me wrong.
Cyndi Murdoch recently posted…Deck Railing Refresh – What a Difference!
Thanks Cyndi. Well, I try to only post recipes that I have tried more than once and really, truly like!
LOVELY LITTLE BITES!
LA CONTESSA recently posted…BALLERINA~MOM~BLOGGER
These muffins sound delicious. I’d have to use a flour substitute such as Cup 4 Cup. I’ll let you know if I give them a try.
Also, Libby, I received my note cards in the mail yesterday. They are lovely! The packaging is a beautiful touch. I appreciate the complimentary Valentine’s card, too. So cute! I really like the quality of the note cards and the subject matter is sweet. Best of luck with your new Etsy shop!
Claudia recently posted…Lemon-Rosemary Simmering Potpourri
Thank you, Claudia! So glad you’re happy with them; when you have a minute, would you leave a review on Etsy? It helps me a lot…Thanks for your purchase!