Let’s start with a short history of our irrigation system and the need for one:
It’s been hot hot hot around here. The heat, and total lack of rain, forced us to finally go out and buy an irrigation system for the garden. It’s been years (well, maybe three) that this has been on our to-do list; but it always seemed so complicated and so technical and so time consuming that we let it slip. But we were so over the hand-watering thing!
We looked at several different kinds, both in catalogues and on line (they are, surprisingly, difficult to find in stores.) The one that best suited our needs, and seemed fairly easy to install was “Mister Landscaper.”
Off we went to Lowe’s. They carried the beginner kit which is really and truly all you need to get started.
But it IS only 50 feet of tubing. We “wasted” at least 20 feet in just getting from the faucet to the actual garden area where the watering would begin. No problem! We laid out the tubing…it is in a tight coil when you buy it, so it helps to stretch it out right away. The system comes with a coupler to add more tubing. We bought another 100 feet. Yes, we have 150 feet of tubing and even at the very end the water comes out as strong as in the first 50 feet.
After you have placed the tubing where you want it (approximately: you will be adjusting it in the next few days) then you need to make holes at intervals. This is where you will then insert the Stake Assembly with the sprayer at the top.
The little heads at the top come in a variety of sprays, from 180 Half Circle Fan Spray to a Small Circle Spinner. In other words, you can have the water spray in a full circle or you can direct it in one direction. You can also manage, with a turn of a knob, how much water you want for each individual spray head.
And then we have the timer. This is essential. It is SO easy to set this baby. Even I had no problem at all: I set it to run every 24 hours, from 6AM to 6:45 and it works like a charm. You can also override the timer setting with a Manual setting, thus allowing you to experiment and check the whole system from time to time. I had some of my stakes too close to the road or brick pathway, thus wasting water. I’ve made minor adjustments several times, changed a few of the heads, and had to reattach a coupler once. But believe me, if we we can do this….you can too!
For us, this system has been nothing short of a miracle! No kidding. My life has just gotten easier! And, mind you, all for about $100.00. Not bad.
Let us know why you think and/or if you have tried a system.